Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sacrifice

So I gave this training in District Meeting the other day. I would like to share it hear as well. It deals with sacrifice. 
What is Sacrifice? Is I thought about it the best thing I could come up with was this "sacrifice is to give up something we value for the sake of something of greater worth." So if we give up something we value, something that is near to us, we give it up for a greater good. We will get something better in return.

How have we made sacrifices in our lives? The few I came up with was these. First I gave up my friends and family for two years to come out here and serve the Lord for two years. It was a sacrifice for me becasue I love to go and do things with my friends. Love to go to movies and play games with them. Out here I dont get that privilage. Second I give up working in Alaska to be out here. I love Alaska. It is my favorite place. When Im up there I feel closer to heaven. Another example is not going out with friends on Sunday to help keep the Sabboth Day holy.  So have we not always got something better in return when we made these sacrifices by giving whatever thing we gave up? As members of the church we have the opportunity to sacrifice worldly things to build up the Kingdom of God. We should be willing to to make any sacrifice for the Lord.

Read Genesis 22:1-9. Its the story of Abraham. It took Abraham, who having developed great faith in Christ to be willing to sacrifice his only son Issac.  To literally sacrifice him. It takes faith to be able to sacrifice anything. So they go togehter hand in hand. Abraham proved faithful as he prepared to sacrifice his son. Thankfully he didnt actually have to do it, and proved his faithfulness to the Lord. Did he not receive anything greater for his willingness to make a sacrifice?

Another great sacrifice was of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He sacrificed his life so we could be able to repent and be forgiven of our mistakes and sins so we could be given the chance to be clean and to return to our Heavenly Fathers presence. That took great sacrifice to give up his life for his Fathers Kingdom. In the song Praise to the Man it has a line that I really like which is "sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven." I know that is true with all my heart. We are blessed from heaven when we make sacrifices.

I challenge us all to think of something we can sacrifice to give us stronger faith and help us further the work this transfer. I know that we are blessed as we make sacrifices in our lives. And that sacrifice will strenghten our faith. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment