Friday, April 8, 2011

Our Trials

Part of this life is being tested. These tests are often referred to as trials. In order to be strengthened we have to be tested. Sometimes they turn out to be major events that test us. Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. I believe this to be true. Nothing that Heavenly Father does is wasted. It all has a purpose. I like this thought that Elder Paul V. Johnson gave in his talk this past General Conference. Some obedient Saints may ask, “Why me? I’m trying to be good! Why is the Lord allowing this to happen?”  Clearly we all have to be tested to grow. It also proves our obedience to the commandments that Heavenly Father has given us. Elder Johnson goes on to say "Not one of the trials and tribulations we face is beyond our limits, because we have access to help from the Lord. We can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us." How true that statement is. We can endure all things. We have the help from the Lord. I know this personally. When I was 9years old I lost my dad. Heavenly Father gave me the strength that I needed to move on. In 1 Peter 1:7 it reads "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." I like that scripture. Our trials are more precious than that of gold. I testify that through the power of Heavenly Father we can endure ever trial. That we can endure to the end.

2 comments:

  1. Elder Corbridge, I love your thoughts. There was a comment in Elder Johnson's talk that I liked it was something to the effect of... perhaps we need to sink to the lowest of lows to understand what Christ endured for us. I have always thought about what Christ endured for us just as from his end... but this makes me think about my suffering and helps me make my focus a bit different. It helps me to understand what Christ endured for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that point too! Sometimes we do need that low. Christ did so much for me, and that low helps me to understand how much he really did do for me.

    ReplyDelete